Beware the “Ides of March”.
The “Ides of March” is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to 15 March. It was marked by several religious observances, and became notorious as the date of the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC.
He was warned “beware the Ides of March” before he got whacked.
Well on this day of falling into traps and falling into danger, here are a few traps and dangers to watch out for in sports:
1) Falling in love with the Dallas Cowboys in September, October, or November. Yes in early Fall it’s “How about them Cowboys?” As Winter approaches, it becomes how about their choke?
Under Tony Romo, the Cowboys are 14-22 in December and January (and that’s mostly January since Cowboys playoff dates are few and far between).
The Cowboys are notroiuos for doing something to tease us in September, October or November but in December there’s 3 things you can count on seeing on your TV: It’s a Wonderful Life, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, and a Dallas Cowboy collapse.
2) Don’t Buy into anything after Week 1 of the NFL? Listen here:
3) Beware of the 12’s vs #5’s- This is where upsets do happen and don’t tell me it doesn’t!
2013 3 of the 4 #12’s dropped #5’s-Ole Miss over Wisconsin, Cal over UNLV, and Oregon over Oklahoma State.
2012 it happened 2x including VCU over Wichita State.
2011 Richmond topped Vanderbilt.
Since 2001, the only year a 12 didn’t beat a 5 was 2007. Every year besides 2007 it happens. 8 of those years its happen multiple times .
It happens, it happens almost every year…so when filling out your brackets “Beware of the 12s”.
4) Giving out Grades before a guy walks into a team’s locker room: See: 2,3, 4, or 5 star guys out of High School, Draft Grades, and Free Agency grades. I know we all do them. I know it’s fun. Just remember when you grade a guy in high school he isn’t playing in college and when you grade a guy in college, he isn’t playing in the NFL.
There are a lot 2 star guys who became pleasant surprises and many 5 stars who have fizzled out.
There have also been a lot of 1st round busts and 6th round diamonds in the rough.
Beware going heavy on grades before a guy plays.
5) Beware of Playoff games if you have a quarterback who is a Heisman Trophy winner on your team!
In the past 17 years, only three Heisman quarterbacks have started a game in the NFL playoffs. So 1 think about that—17 years only 3 Heisman guys have actually gotten their team to a playoff game. Only 1 guy won a playoff game. His name Tim Tebow.
The last Heisman winner to start a playoff game was Ty Detmer, who was pulled from his 1996 game with the Philadelphia Eagles. Before Detmer, it was 1986 winner Vinny Testaverde. Of Heisman quarterbacks, only Roger Staubach and Jim Plunkett led their teams to a Super Bowl win.
Beware: Heisman guys don’t equal playoff success in the NFL.
6) Beware of Favorites in Spring!!!!
Beware of your hockey team winning the Presidents Trophy?
For those who don’t know , this trophy is awarded to the team that had the best regular season record in the NHL.
Now last year, the Chicago Blackhawks won both the Presidents Trophy and the Stanley Cup so it take the fear factor down a little, but prior to that only 1 other team has done both in 10 years.
And another favorite in Spring—The Kentucky Derby beware of the favorite: Going back to 1979 only five favorites (Big Brown, Street Sense, Smarty Jones, Fusaichi Pegasus, Spectacular Bid)