10 way early first impressions in April of the Skins 2017 schedule
1) Week 1 against Philly- I love the NFL doesn’t mess around. We’ve waited months for football so let’s kick it off with some Divisional heat. The Skins new defense will get a quick first test against Carson Wentz and the new speed WR’s of Torrey Smith and Alshon Jeffrey in Philadelphia.
2) Week 2 will feature Jay Gruden and squad vs former OC Sean McVay. The Redskins are better than their opponent but a West Coast trip is always tricky.
3) Weeks 3 and 4 will showcase the Redskins in primetime and in a double dip of the AFC West with a Sunday night against Oakland and then a visit to raucous Arrowhead Stadium to begin the month of October. Skins should feel good with a split.
4) One thing I always look for is how a team’s Bye Week is positioned. Too early is a concern. For the Skins, having a Bye in Week 5 will provide a nice early pause to regroup issues and assess situations, however, it will only add to how taxing the long stretch of the season will be. While there is a 10 day window between Week 13 and Week 14, it’s still a bare to go all of November and December with no break.
5) 10/15 vs SF. Kirk Cousins vs his future coach and future team. Hmmmmm…….
6) As of November 11th, the Skins will have only played (2) 1pm games.
7) When the Burgundy and Gold travel to Philly on 10/23, they will have completed facing the Eagles ever before taking on the Cowboys or Giants. This will also kick off a very tough stretch of at Philly, Dallas on a short week, followed by a trip to Seattle.
8) The Redskins will play on the road at New Orleans before hosting their first ever Thanksgiving Day game. At least the NFL didn’t make them play the Sunday night before Turkey Day like last year.
9) I feel bad for my colleagues on the beat that they’ve got to spend Thanksgiving away from their families. However how about the stakes of the Redskins and Giants in a NFC East match up late in November, which will immediately follow the Cowboys game. Considering I see the NFC East only being won with a 10-6 record, Thanksgiving could really set the tone going into the final month of the regular season where the Redskins will have only 1 more divisional game remaining.
10) Merry Christmas? Happy New Year? With games on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve to end the season and the NFC East or a Wild Card coming down to the final weekend, the Skins final two outcomes could determine fans feelings about the playoffs, Cousins future, and Happy Holidays?
Send you thoughts and first impressions to @WesFoxSports910